Blog Archives

Tammerkoski measuring huts

Apologies, content only available in Finnish for the moment.

Turtola Granary

Apologies, content only available in Finnish for the moment.

Cellar of Milavida

Not many people know that in the Näsinpuisto Park, at the north end of Street Näsilinnankatu, there has been a gorgeous wooden villa called Milavida. The villa was built in 1860 by Finlayson cotton factory’s manager, William von Nottbeck.

In 1905 the villa ended up in the ownership of City of Tampere. It was rented to mercant called Raittinen, who’s wife opened a restaurant and a boarding house at the Milavida villa. However the villa was destroyed in a fire in 1913. Only a separate underground cellar is left of the Milavida villa.

The Cellar probably dates to the same age as the villa to which it belonged to. It has a decorative entrance built from red bricks. Although the entrance looks small, the brick vaulted cellar itself is rather large. There are six steep brick steps descending from the door. The cellar has two rooms and is about 35 m2 in size.

Location
Cellar of Milavida is located in the Näsinpuisto Park, on the north-west side of the Tampere city center, in Finlayson district (I-district). On the east side of the cellar there are the Stable Yards, now a tourist attraction but formerly part of the Finlayson factory community, housing the factory owner’s cattle, horses and the staff needed to care for them.

Care instructions
The adopter’s first task is to clear the cellar of rubbish accumulated there over the decades. Annual maintaining duties include: roof cleaning, keeping the surroundings tidy, and keeping the foreground of the cellar door clear of snow, to prevent melting snow from penetrating in and causing damage. In addition, the adopter is responsible of inspectin the condition of the building each year and notifying the Pirkanmaa Provincial Museum of any alarming changes.

Use
Cellar can very well be used for its original purpose: storing vegetables, juices and jams, or adopter could come up with a whole new purpose. The cool cellar space could serve for instance as a refuge for hot summer days, a chapel of silence, or even a small-scale gallery space, why not as a beer cellar as well.

Kiosk at Annikinkatu

Kiosk at Annikinkatu, also known as the Annikki stone kiosk, was built in the early 1920s, probably in year 1920. Tiny, quadrangular kiosk is built from natural stone blocks. The shutter is on the south side and a door on the west side. Hipped roof is red painted seam metal.

Kiosk began operating in the 1920s. According to its owner it became known as “Santra’s kiosk” and also “Mama’s kiosk”. The name stuck until the 1950s. Santra’s kiosk was visited especially by children buying salty liquorice, burnt liquorice, dried apple and carrots pieces. Although the kiosk was small in size, it could accommodate up to twelve beverage carts. At war-time kiosk also sold German tobacco.

After Santra’s ownership the kiosk operations continued with different owners. The last owner was Antti Tammilehto, who hosted the kiosks for twelve years. Since the 1980s, the doors have been locked until Annikin Tähti ry was inspired to open an art kiosks there in the 2000s.

Location
Annikki stone kiosk is located on the east side of the center of Tampere, in Tammela district, in the corner of the streets Annikinkatu and Salhojankatu. Behind the kiosk there are the blue painted wood-Tammela residential buildings and on the opposite side of Salhojankatu the Annikki wooden residential block, the only remaining whole woodbuildt block on the east side of Tammerkoski.

Care instructions
Adopter’s task is to review annually the kiosk building’s condition and notify Pirkanmaa Provincial Museum of any drastic changes. In addition, the adopter’s tasks include keeping the surroundings clean, graffiti removal, roof cleaning and keeping the kiosk door foreground clear of snow, to prevent melting water penetrating the building and causing damage.

Use
Kiosks could be used as a storage, as a children’s playhouse or for small-scale activities, such as a poetry kiosk, place for art exhibitions, or a flower shop.

Phone Booth in Lappi-Käpylä

The beautifully ornate telephone booth in Lappi-Käpylä Central Park is apparently the original phone booth of the area, placed there in the end of 1920s. However, the booth was most likely previously located at a slightly different place, on the west side of the park. The first houses in Lappi-Käpylä residential area were built in the end of 1910s and the last ones in the 1950s.

Many important calls must have taken place in the phone booth especially before phones became more common in private homes. By the 1960s phone was found in almost every household but public phones only lost their significance in the very end of 20th century as a result of general use of mobile phones.

The model of the kiosk was designed by the city’s head architect Bertel Strömmer in 1925 and it was used until the end of 1930s. There were several similar booths around the city of Tampere for instance in the center market place and in the Port of Mustalahti. At Present the one in Lappi-Käpylä is the only one remaining.

The booth is made of metal and painted dark green. The tent roof and the double doors with small round holes for peeking in are also metal. The walls are open from their upper and lower parts. The style of the booth is typical classicism, with its crisscross bars and decorative rosettes. Phone Machine has been removed, but the booth still has functional ceiling light. Wonder who pays the electric bill!

Location
Residents of Tampere know the city area as Käpylä, although the official name of it is Lappi (Lapland), hence the joint name Lappi-Käpylä. The residential area is located northeast from the city centre near the shores of Lake Näsijärvi. In the middle of the residential area there is a small park. The phone booth is the northern edge of Central Park, a little retracted from the street line of Kantotie.

Care instructions
Adopter is responsible for inspecting the condition of the telephone booth annually. The Pirkanmaa Provincial Museum should be notified of any changes or mischief. In addition, the adoptive tasks may include painting, graffiti removal and keeping the booths surroundings clean.

Song Stage of Näsinpuisto Park

Appologies, content only available in Finnish at the moment.

Osmonpuisto Music Stage

Park concerts were cheap fun for everybody in the early 20th century. Tampere’s City Council had a music committee, whose tasks included, inter alia, designing a summer music program for parks. In 1929, at the initiative of the music committee, City Council granted funds to build “a music pavilion” in to the Osmonpuisto Park. The Music Stage was supposed to be built within the same year to celebrate the city’s 150-year anniversary, but according to the municipal report, the stage was not completed until late in the summer of 1930.

The designs for Osmonpuisto Song Stage were made in the city’s construction office’s architecture department. The music committee did not approve the first proposal, a platform only open from one side. They feared music would not audible enough or spread widely enough to the audience. Thus, it was decided to build a more open platform according to the stage already existing in Eteläpuisto Park. The final plans were signed by architect Jaakko Laaksovirta.

The construction of the music stage was part of a broader effort to improve the look of the city in the 1920s and 1930s. At that time, the city’s parks were developed, public sculptures and monuments were acquired and allotment gardens established. It was intended to transform Tampere, “Finland’s Manchester” into “a beautiful city of factories” that would also attack tourists.

There were four concerts held at the Osmonpuisto stage already in the year 1930. For the residents of Tammela the park was an important meeting place and concert evenings would often turn out to be huge successes. Different working class music groups appeared on stage but concerts were also organized by The Tammela Salvation Army.

Location
Osmonpuisto Park is a large well maintained park area surrounded by apartment buildings. Its located east from the city center of Tampere, in the Tammela district. The park was designed by city gardener Onni Karstén in 1911 and it was originally surrounded with two-storey high wooden houses. The semi-circular music stage is located in the middle of the park, near Street Ainonkatu.

Care instructions
Adopter is responsible for inspecting the condition of the music stage annually. The Pirkanmaa Provincial Museum should be notified of any changes or mischief. In addition, the adoptive tasks may include painting, graffiti removal and keeping the stages surroundings clean.

Use
The stage could be used for, say, by a choir, a band or a theater group for exercises and performances. The music stage’s foundation also has a small lockable storage room.